I have always loved stories, whether reading books, hearing tall tales from friends or listening to words of wisdom from my parents. And ever since I started in business with Student Magazine, I have been fascinated by the intersection between storytelling and entrepreneurship. Entrepreneurs who make a difference relate to and interact with other people – they are, in effect, professional storytellers.
The story of our business – its ups and down, opportunity and challenges – is what attracts people to our products and services, and also to work with us. We would be nothing without our story. To encourage you to tell yours, here’s my top 10 quotes on storytelling.
1. “The universe is made of stories, not atoms.” – Muriel Rukeyser
2. “Purposeful storytelling isn’t show business, it’s good business.”– Peter Guber
3. “Tell me the facts and I’ll learn. Tell me the truth and I’ll believe. But tell me a story and it will live in heart forever.” – Ancient Proverb
4. “The most powerful person in the world is the storyteller. The storyteller sets the vision, values and agenda of an entire generation that is to come.” – Steve Jobs
5. “There’s always room for a story that can transport people to another place.” ― J.K. Rowling
6. “Stories can conquer fear, you know. They can make the heart bigger.” ― Ben Okri
7. “Storytelling is the most powerful way to put ideas into the world today.” – Robert McAfee Brown
8. “The basic rule of storytelling is ‘show, don’t tell.’” – Julianna Baggott
9. “Stories are like children. They grow in their own way.” ― Madeleine L’Engle
10. “After nourishment, shelter and companionship, stories are the thing we need most in the world.” – Philip Pullman
What’s your story? And how are you telling it? I’d love to hear about it in the comments below.