Terror in Turkey: Major Suicide Bomb Rocks Wedding – At Least 8 Dead, 60 Wounded

0

Turkey-Gaziatep-Attack-001

Eight people were killed and 60 were wounded on Saturday, security sources said, in what a regional official in southern Turkey called a “terror attack” on a wedding party.


Ambulances raced to the scene of the attack in the Sahinbey district of the city of Gaziantep.

A parliamentary deputy from the ruling AK Party said in a twitter message that Islamic State militants were believed to be behind the attack.

Journalist Mete Sohtaoglu, the former editor at CNN Turk, confirms that authorities believe at least 8 are dead and more than 30 others have been wounded in the attack based on preliminary information. Video from the scene corroborates the violent nature of the attack featuring images too graphic to republish.

Ambulances continue to race to the scene as authorities attempt to get a handle on the carnage that has resulted from the strike.

RT reports that one social media user who saw the scene unfold said that a “suicide bomber blows himself up” and claims that “close to a hundred” people have been killed or injured.

Turkish national broadcaster NTV confirmed the blast saying a “terrorist attack” had targeted a wedding celebration.

NATO member Turkey has suffered a string of attacks by Islamic State and by Kurdish militants seeking autonomy or independence. Last month, the country was shaken by an attempted coup by rogue elements of the military.

Anadolu Agency quoted Gaziantep Governor Ali Yerlikaya as saying Saturday’s explosion was a “terror attack”.

Three suspected Islamic State suicide bombers killed 44 people at Istanbul’s main airport in July, the deadliest in a string of attacks in Turkey this year.

Reuters

Turkey-Gaziatep-Attack-002

Share.

Leave A Reply