Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu blasted Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto for meeting Donald Trump.
The Oscar-winning director wrote an opinion piece for newspaper El Pais after Republican presidential nominee Trump met with Pena Nieto on Wednesday (31Sep16) to defend his plans to tackle immigration problems by building a border wall between Mexico and the U.S.
Trump’s decision to travel to Mexico was met with anger and criticism by many, after the businessman-turned-politician infamously likening Mexican people to criminals and rapists at a rally in June last year (15).
In his no holds barred column for El Pais, Inarritu berated Pena Nieto for not defending Mexico against Trump’s derogatory comments and controversial border wall plans, insisting it was a betrayal to even allow the Republican nominee into the country.
“Enrique Pena Nieto’s invitation to Donald Trump is a betrayal,” the 53-year-old wrote. “It legitimises someone who has insulted us, spit on us and threatened us for more than a year in front of the entire world.”
The filmmaker, who won his second Oscar back in January (16) for his epic The Revenant, said Pena Nieto’s discussions with Trump has put the future and lives of 16 million Mexicans at risk.
“It (the meeting) lacks dignity and further strengthens a political campaign of hatred toward us, toward half of humanity and toward the most vulnerable minorities on the planet,” Inarritu said.
The director also wrote that he no longer considers himself represented by the Mexican president, who he deemed “not worthy of representing any country.”
During Wednesday’s visit, Trump defended the right of the U.S. to build the controversial wall, and reiterated his immigration plan to the Mexican president.
While Trump said they did not talk about who would pay for the wall, which is estimated to cost billions of dollars, Pena Nieto took to Twitter to clarify what happened in the meeting, posting: “At the start of the conversation with Donald Trump, I made it clear that Mexico will not pay for the wall.”